Friday 1 August 2014

Natural Sparkle Part 2 - Guest Post

Hello and welcome to the second part of the natural sparkle blogging series.
I would like to thank you all for reading and following the blogs and writings from guest bloggers, and now I would like to welcome you to the first monthly guest blogger - Brittany Nicole.


 

Hey ladies!

I was asked to write a guest post on “Natural Sparkle”. I will admit, when I first read the email saying to write about natural beauty, I almost declined this amazing opportunity. For years I've struggled with self-worth, depression and body image issues. I've dealt with a very slight eating disorder that caused me to try to change my body in unhealthy ways. All my life I was told that I’d be prettier if I lost weight, and had numerous jokes about me looking pregnant. I was always taller than everyone else, and hated it. I actually wanted to have surgery to become shorter! That’s how much I hated my body. I had severe acne until recently, and I wasn't happy in my own skin. I felt like I didn't belong in my own body. I was so different on the inside from what I thought my appearance portrayed. 

It wasn't until this past year, during my freshmen year of college that I became comfortable in my own skin. Yes, I still have acne. No, I didn't loose weight.  Yes, I’m still almost 6 feet tall. 

My appearance didn't change. My outlook did. 

Genesis 1:27 says, “ God created man in his own image…”

God created ME, in HIS own image. If I look at myself in disgust, or hatred, then what am I saying about God? Am I saying He’s ugly? Am I saying he deserves to be thrown every negative comment His way? Does He deserve to be put down for not looking the way society says He should look? NO. 

So why do we do that to ourselves? If God made us in His image, then we should not put ourselves down. We should not look in the mirror and tell ourselves everything that’s wrong with our body. We should not wish to have something God didn't give to us. There’s a reason I’m not short. There’s a reason my skin isn't perfect. There’s a reason my hair isn't red and curly…. The reason is because that’s not the way God made me. He made me in HIS image. He made me the way HE wanted me to be. Why should I put down Gods creation? He obviously knew what He was doing. So why don’t we step back, look at ourselves in the mirror, and THANK Him. Thank Him for making us the way He wanted. 

I know, I know. It’s not easy looking in the mirror, seeing a pimple, and saying “Thank you God for my pimple”. I realize that! Trust me! But we live in a world that isn't perfect, but we worship and belong to a perfect God. He made us perfect in His eyes, so why should we think otherwise?

Now, after trying very hard to stop obsessing with my looks, I am finally able to be myself. I still have acne, but I am able to walk outside without makeup on. I am finally able to wear a bathing suit without wearing a shirt and shorts over it. I am able to wear my hair up confidently without feeling like I look ugly. I now can wear shorts and tank tops boldly

My challenge to you is to look in the mirror, and say one POSITIVE comment to yourself every time you look into it. Train yourself to say positive comments, and slowly you’ll be able to avoid all the negative comments. 


I’m not saying it’ll be easy, but with a little positive words of encouragement to yourself daily, you can slowly start to let your natural beauty sparkle, just like God intended. 

WOW!!!!! How amazing is that! Just what a lot of us needed to hear!
I just want to say a huge thank you to my new guest blogger and friend and inspiration to me Brittany Nicole. 

Brittany Nicole will be guest blogging every month so keep your eyes peeled for more awesome pieces from this beautiful young lady of God. 

Thanks for reading I look forward to you connecting with us. 
Email me on jessica@bibleforwomen.co.uk

Love Jessica Louise and Brittany Nicole 
God Bless you all Xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment